CCSO to stage school shooting drill at Everest University | News
CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- Everest University in Orange Park will be the backdrop for a Clay County Sheriff's Office training exercise Wednesday.
The Sheriff's Office is anticipating for the exercise to catch public off guard, so large message boards will be set up along Wells Road alerting the public, according to a media release from Mary Justino, CCSO public information officer. CCSO has been working with Everest University for three months to coordinate the drill.
Sixty-five members of the CCSO SWAT and negotiations teams, Orange Park Police and Fire Departments, Clay County Fire Rescue and also Everest University staff and students are taking part in the drill.
The students and faculty will be role players in several different on campus situations, including a active-shooter and hostage scenario.
Upcoming Events near Orange Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment