Student hit by car near Orange Park High School | News
ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- A student is in critical condition after being hit by a car at the intersection of Blanding Boulevard and Kingsley Avenue.
Darlene Mahla, spokesperson for Clay County Public Schools, told First Coast News a car struck a 14-year-old female student near Orange Park High School.
The Florida Highway Patrol has identified the student who was hit as Heather Barnes of Orange Park. She was walking with a group of girls around 1:45 p.m. They were not in a crosswalk, Mahla said.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the girls were crossing Kingsley Avenue. The turning lane onto Blanding Boulevard South had a green light and the girls were jaywalking. An Acura hit the girl, who was the only one hit.
Captain Bernita Bush with Clay County Fire and Rescue said rescue transported the teen to Orange Park Medical Center. FHP said the girl was then airlifted to Shands. She is in critical to life-threatening condition.
The driver, Charles John Gibbs, 67, of Orange Park, did not receive a ticket and will not face charges, according to the FHP.
Upcoming Events near Orange Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment