Body of missing Orange Park canoeist found | News
ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- Officials found the man who went missing following a canoe accident early Saturday morning.
According to Karen Park with Florida Fish and Wildlife, the body of 26-year-old Richmond Gard-Chambers was found Monday morning around 6:30.
Gard-Chambers was canoeing in Wells Lake in Orange Park with two other people when the canoe capsized.
Two males and a female went in the water. The female made it out safely. The two men were wearing heavy boots. One of the men was able to get his boots off and held on to a cooler until he was rescued.
Gard-Chambers allegedly panicked. FWC said hydrilla on the lake hindered search efforts. There is only 6 foot visibility in the lake.
Upcoming Events near Orange Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment